CHITRAL: The Langlands Teachers Association on Sunday explained why Principal Carey Schofield has become unacceptable to the teaching and non-teaching staff of the institution.
In a statement, the association said apart from alleged financial embezzlement she lives a luxurious life in the backward Chitral, and a major chunk of the school fund was being spent on her and her personal employees.
Mismanagement and irregularities
1. The principal is not a professional educationist, and has only some experience in journalism
2. She is aged over 65 years
3. She runs the school in an authoritarian and dictatorial way
4. The salary structure in the school is not based on academic and professional qualification and years of service
5. Teachers are not given their fundamental right of casual leave, annual increment and extra-duty allowance
6. She behaves with teachers unprofessionally and in a rude way
7. She has never organized teacher professional development programmes/workshops
8. School is run through a spy system, and on a divide and rule policy
9. There is a staff house where she lives but non-local teachers are forced to reside outside
10. The views/suggestions of the teachers regarding their problems are not listened
11. She creates a tense and panic-like environment in the school
12. There is an “attitude allowance” in the school to make the employees submissive which doesn’t exist across the world
13. When a teacher reasons on any issue or problem s/he is targeted psychologically and financially
14. There is an unequal distribution of workload among teachers
15. Teachers are asked to keep students silent inside classes whether they learn or not
16. Most of the teachers haven’t been given appointment letters till now
17. There is no system of teachers appreciation and performance evaluation system
18. There is no clean and hygienic water supply system for the school community
Issues and problems of students
1. The principal does not bother even to listen to students’ problems, and when students talk about it they are suppressed
2. At the time of admission, students are not provided prospectus about school basic rules. And students are made to agree (getting their sign on the time of admission)
3. Inappropriate sports timing badly affects their education and academic performance
4. Heavy fines on students during winter coaching classes
5. Destroying self-esteem of students in front of their parents and fellows on petty issues
6. Uniforms provided from school are poor in quality, and huge in prices
7. Inserting school monogram in stationery are hugely charged
8. There are no rules promoting a child from one class to another
9. After placement test merit-list is not displayed, and it indicates merit violation clearly
10. There are no co-curricular activities (science exhibition, Bazm-e-Adab, quiz and literary competitions) to identify their hidden skills and polish their creativity. They are even not allowed to participate in such events in other schools.
11. Students are not allowed to apply for international scholarship i.e. YES
12. There is no hostel and examination hall even funds released specifically for them
13. There are no healthy food items in canteen for students, even the canteen manager is not allowed to bring different items
14. Parents Day has not been organized for many years
15. There is neither a computer lab nor internet facility, and there is no teacher for computer literacy of students
16. The transport system and buses are highly unsatisfactory
17. Students are overloaded in buses
18. Students are hugely charged for heating
19. Students are forced for sports, and during sports day and tournaments they are not provided meal
20. Students are forced to wearing woolen cap even in mid-June.
Problems of drivers and security staff
1. There is no instant repair of buses on time when notified, and then they are poorly repaired.
2. All security guards have 12 thousands monthly salary for 12 hours duty. They are neither food nor tea. The government has specified minimum salary at Rs17,500.
3. Three drivers have been terminated when they provided lift to a family member, a student, sick, and old man
4. There are no conductors with buses, and teachers work as conductors.