ISLAMABAD: Over 200 youth from Gilgit-Baltistan continued their sit-in outside the parliament house here against the killing of innocent people in Kohistan and Chilas.
The protest sit-in organized by Gilgit-Baltistan Youth continued started on Friday. The youth vowed to continue the protest till their demands were met. Some of the demands included lifting of the curfew in Gilgit city, military action against culprits in Chilas, clarification regarding the actual number of people killed in Chilas and the protection of Shia community members across the country.
President of the GBY, Raza Abbas while speaking to chitraltoday.net correspondent said “so far 200 persons have been missing but the government has not taken any step to recover them.” He added: “Just two days before the incident, from the platform of a mosque in Gilgit it was announced that riots of 1988 will be revised. On the other hand, the government has failed to ensure protection the travellers on KKH. Deputy Inspector general Ali Shir and Home Secretary Gilgit-Baltistan have been negotiating with the people who were involved in the March 28 incident.” He said strict action should be taken against elements who were responsible for the incidents of Kohistan, Challas and Gilgit and communication system should be restored. An official of the Secretariat police said about 60 participants of the sit-in stayed on the Parade Avenue on Saturday night and others left for Gilgit-Baltistan House and would come back on Sunday morning to resume the protest.